Paul George Signs $190 Million Extension With Clippers
Paul George is slated to be a Los Angeles Clipper for a few more years.
According to ESPN, the 30-year-old small forward signed a contract extension with the team on Thursday. The deal adds four more years to George’s contract and $190 million. It’s also connected to his 2018 $137 million contract he had with the Oklahoma CIty Thunder.
George’s agent told ESPN the extension includes a player option for the 2024-2025 season. Within the next five years, George could earn up to $226 million.
The six-time All Star who is originally from Southern California said in a statement that growing up, he “always dreamed of playing in Los Angeles, where my friends and family could come watch me play.”
“I am so grateful to Steve Ballmer, Lawrence Frank, Coach Ty Lue, my teammates, and the entire Clippers organization for believing in me,” he added in the statement. “I am proud to call this my home and look forward to doing my part in helping make the team a tremendous success – both on and off the court – in the years ahead.”
In July of last year, George was traded to the Clippers and set franchise records in his first season with the team, including becoming the first player to score at least 30 points in his first two games and making the most points in a Clippers home debut (37).
Clippers head coach Ty Lue said he is “thrilled” about the extension and that George is “one of the best and most versatile players in the league.”
“He can play on or off the ball. He can score in a variety of different ways. And he can guard almost every position on the court,” he said. “His skill and leadership will be integral to everything we do for many years to come. I’m thrilled we can continue to build with PG.”